Blogging Challenge Day 1: Who Am I – and other Ramblings …
I really love blogging. It’s a way to get my crazy thoughts out of my head – and of course – share recent happenings with Hey Sisters! Photography!
We’ve been revamping things all across the board, starting with updating our website and joining Instagram! But it’s the stuff behind the scenes that are in constant motion … more exciting things to come, so be sure to check back here for the latest updates!
In the meantime, I recently joined a 7-day Feel Good Blogging Challenge, inspired by Alex Beadon! And if you’re a small business owner and have not connected with her just yet, I highly recommend checking her out! She’s such an inspiration and she’s been super amazingly helpful to us this past year!
Ok, ok, now right to it! And since I went to college to be a journalist, I figured I’d type out the questions for this first blog post, and answer them like I would if I were being interviewed. And I know, it sounds weird because I’ll be interviewing myself, but hey, I’m trying to make it interesting! 😉 So here goes!
Who are you?
This has always been a tough question in years past. Because honestly, I wasn’t quite sure WHO I was. These past few years however, I’ve learned SO MUCH about myself. I wrote a little about this a few weeks ago, if you’d like to check that out, but the bottom line is … I’m happy! And thankful. And each new day I awake, I’m blessed to take another breath in and LIVE.
So I realize that was a really short answer to a loaded question, so here are a few ‘fun facts’ about me: 🙂
– I’ve been married for 14 years. I love my husband Jason more than I did the day we said “I Do”.
– My little boy Eli, who will be 4 in December is my little LIGHT. He lights up the room – and brings me the greatest joy. He continues to be my inspiration, daily!
– My three sisters are my best friends. And when we’re together, we have the BEST times – and laugh until our bellies hurt. 🙂
– I love reading. And am currently reading three different books – and I haven’t finished any of them.
– Writing is my first passion. I started writing a book in college. I’m going to finish it someday – soon.
– I love the movies! The best of times have been movie watching with my dad. To this day, we still go see movies together – and eat a whole tub of popcorn in the process!
– I’m really an introvert. But photography has helped me break out of that shell. I just LOVE meeting new people and LOVE to hear their stories.
– I used to play the flute in high school. I wanted to be in the symphony. But yea, that didn’t happen. But I still love and remember my band days!
– I wanted to be in the Air Force, and fly jets. But the recruiter said it was a “no go” because I had bad knees and a hole in my eardrum. I’m thankful he said NO – but I still think it would have been way cool to fly a stealth bomber!
– I love coffee.
Why did you start blogging?
I have been blogging for many years. It was a way to get all of the thoughts/ideas out of my head so I could actually sleep! And then my little sis and I started Hey Sisters! Photography and thought it was only natural to share our recent photo stories with people who might be interested in seeing our work. It’s been such a cathartic experience to not only share our work – but share the stories of the people we have been blessed to meet throughout this photography journey. And that’s what it’s all about. Them. And their stories.
Who is your blog for?
I think when we first started blogging our photography sessions, we didn’t really know who we were blogging them for. For us? For potential clients? Because everyone else was doing it? We then realized that we were blogging for the people who were in the photographs. The people who opened up their lives, and let us come into them in such a personal way. We photograph a lot of weddings, and I can’t tell you how personal a wedding day is for a bride and groom, along with their families and friends. It’s such an intimate experience and the fact that we have been invited to document it – well – that still blows me away! That goes the same with families … they invite us IN – into their lives, to see them, and capture them as they are. It’s a true joy to be able to share in people’s lives in such a way – to capture memories for them – that happen only once. So this blog is for YOU – the people who invite us to share in their moments – and create new memories. We are forever grateful for the opportunities and blessed by each and every person we have been able to photograph.
What’s something you’ve been working on lately that you’re REALLY proud of?
This isn’t really photography related, but it’s very personal to me, and I’m so excited to share about it! It’s my fitness journey – which I started earlier this year, and what a roller coaster! I really used to HATE working out. It was never fun. Never something I ‘looked forward’ to doing. However, I’ve learned that with anything in life, if you surround yourself with people who are passionate about something – you start to become passionate about it too. I wrote a little about my journey last week, but the short of it is that I found a community of people who lift you up – help you through the process – and never judge you. These people are the BEST encouragers and I feel better than ever! I’ve also lost almost 25 pounds, many inches, and comfortably fit in a size 8! But most of all, I feel HEALTHY. I can run with my baby boy, exercise without feeling like I’m going to pass out, and I’m truly happier – more energetic. It truly makes a world of difference and I’m so thankful I’ve found a community who uplifts you and encourages you, every step of the way. 🙂
What’s the ONE MESSAGE that you hope people take away from your blog?
The one thing I would love for you to take away from our blog is that we LOVE PEOPLE. And we want to connect with YOU! Life is so much better when you can share it with others. So please! Contact us!!! Send us an Email, connect with us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter! We want to meet you!!! Excited for this journey to continue – and we simply can’t wait for the new stories – and new people – we will be blessed to meet, and photograph, along the way! Thank you SO MUCH for reading. 🙂 Have a blessed day!